Waffles are such a great comfort food
We all had waffles at one point in our life and as a vegan you shouldn’t have to miss out on this great sweet or savoury deliciousness that traditionally uses a lot of eggs and butter. It is definitely not difficult to prepare, but because you need a waffle maker it isn’t part of my BudgetBasics.
- 1 banana
- 50ml water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 125g margarine
- 250g flour
- 250ml milk (soy, almond, rice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vanilla essence
- Toppings (icing sugar, berries, syrup, chocolate sauce)
That’s all you need. Now all you got to do is mix the ingredients together and heat up your waffle iron.
- Mix the banana, water and sugar with the margarine in a bowl, I find it easiest to use an electric handmixer for that task. If you don’t like banana it also works without the banana.
- Once its all nicely blended together add the flour, milk, baking powder and vanilla essence to create a nice smooth batter. If you’d like you can add some cocoa powder to make chocolate waffles or some desiccated coconut for a different taste. This batter is quite thick, just add some more liquid if you prefer a more runny waffle batter.
- Now you can pour some of the batter in your preheated waffle maker, wait until it’s done and continue until all your batter is gone. Don’t forget to grease the iron every now and then.
Well done, you made vegan waffles. Serve them with your favourite toppings. This recipe isn’t particularly sweet so you could also enjoy the waffles as a savoury dish with some hummus or whatever else you feel like today.
Waffles are the best!